"If a dozen men, working eight hours a day, had to dig a hole ten-and-a-half miles deep—how long would it be, including Sundays, before they put down their spades?"
The King's eyes shone with a cunning sparkle. He gazed at the Cat with a look of triumph. But the Cat had its answer ready.
"Two seconds," it said quickly, with a little flick of its tail.
"Two seconds! Are you mad? The answer's in years!" The King rubbed his hands together with glee at the thought of the Cat's mistake.
"I repeat," said the Cat. "It would take them two seconds. To dig such a hole would be utterly foolish. 'Ten miles deep?' they would say. 'Why, what on earth for?'"
The Cat that looked at a King.
Member for 7 years, 10 months
5 profile views
Last seen Sep 12 '15 at 5:11
- Travel 42.1k 42.1k 99 gold badges9191 silver badges192192 bronze badges
- Unix & Linux 5k 5k 2121 silver badges4444 bronze badges
- Expatriates 5k 5k 1616 silver badges4343 bronze badges
- Stack Overflow 2.2k 2.2k 1212 silver badges3131 bronze badges
- Super User 2.1k 2.1k 22 gold badges1313 silver badges1515 bronze badges
- View network profile →
Top network posts
- 112 Linux: find out what process is using all the RAM?
- 59 Are there any flights which permits a Sikh to carry a kirpan?
- 55 How do I login as root?
- 43 What to do if drugs / a bomb are planted in your travel bag?
- 36 If, like Edward Snowden, your passport was revoked or cancelled, how could you travel?
- 35 Does condition 8115 mean you can't check your work email?
- 32 Why can't I delete a file where I have group write permissions on?
- View more network posts →