During my day job, and even sometimes in my hobbies, I am a programmer and software engineer. Within the software engineering realm, I'm most interested in design patterns, techniques, theories, and language features that make software systems easiest to develop, maintain, and support. My key interest of late is strongly typed functional languages (such as Haskell and Scala) for all the benefits they seem to provide the developer without causing much of a performance hit. I work in the nitty-gritty often in my day job, but my preference is to understand things well at the most general and abstract levels of programming to apply solutions more broadly.
Outside of software, I have varied interests. The chief among them is Eastern Orthodox Christianity, so you will find me fairly active on the Christianity SE site. However, I also have interests in creative writing (poetry in particular), personal finance (who doesn't?), food, travel, philosophy, and the outdoors (especially rock climbing).
Member for 6 years, 5 months
4 profile views
Last seen Dec 9 '16 at 17:30
- Stack Overflow 1.1k 1.1k 88 silver badges2525 bronze badges
- Christianity 659 659 33 silver badges1313 bronze badges
- Code Review 391 391 11 silver badge1313 bronze badges
- Personal Finance & Money 291 291 11 silver badge77 bronze badges
- Software Engineering 223 223 33 silver badges1212 bronze badges
- View network profile
Top network posts
- 17 What's the best way to invest for making regular donations?
- 12 What are the differences in belief regarding Hesychasm between the Chalcedonian (Eastern) and Non-Chalcedonian (Oriental) Orthodox Churches?
- 11 "Restaurant" HackerRank challenge in C
- 7 What are the performance characteristics between curried, partially applied, and 'normal' functions in Scala?
- 7 I'm being warned that the Monoid I'm creating is an Orphan Instance. Is there a better way to write this functionality in?
- 6 According to the Eastern Orthodox, in what sense did the Theotokos (Virgin Mary) give birth to Christ's divinity?
- 6 Why are Catholics singled out from "Christians"?
- View more network posts →