I am a Software Development Manager for Domestic & General, leading a talented team in maintaining and developing a range of applications for all aspects of D&G's business.
At heart, I am a professional software developer with 30 years’ experience in many software technologies. I am an enthusiastic advocate of agile and functional methodologies. I have worked solo, as a team member, and have led development teams.
I am passionate about both writing high quality, well tested, clean code and in teaching others the skills and techniques needed to do the same. In my view, some of the essential skills for a good developer to have are a clear understanding of functional programming, test-driven development, Scrum or Kanban and continuous integration methods. A good manager of a team of developers therefore has to have those skills too.
- Stack Overflow 39.3k 39.3k 1515 gold badges7676 silver badges123123 bronze badges
- Software Engineering 34.9k 34.9k 88 gold badges7272 silver badges108108 bronze badges
- Code Review 701 701 44 silver badges99 bronze badges
- Project Management 604 604 44 silver badges99 bronze badges
- Open Source 153 153 55 bronze badges
- View network profile
Top network posts
- 425 What does $ mean before a string?
- 236 Is it bad practice to enforce an execution order for unit tests?
- 220 My boss asks me to stop writing small functions and do everything in the same loop
- 185 Reading/writing an INI file
- 131 How do you justify more code being written by following clean code practices?
- 125 How do you detect dependency problems with unit tests when you use mock objects?
- 110 C#7: Underscore ( _ ) & Star ( * ) in Out variable
- View more network posts →