I am a Software Development Manager for Domestic & General, leading a talented team in maintaining and developing a range of applications for all aspects of D&G's business.
At heart, I am a professional software developer with 30 years’ experience in many software technologies. I am an enthusiastic advocate of agile and functional methodologies. I have worked solo, as a team member, and have led development teams.
I am passionate about both writing high quality, well tested, clean code and in teaching others the skills and techniques needed to do the same. In my view, some of the essential skills for a good developer to have are a clear understanding of functional programming, test-driven development, Scrum or Kanban and continuous integration methods. A good manager of a team of developers therefore has to have those skills too.
- Stack Overflow 34.2k 34.2k 1414 gold badges7373 silver badges120120 bronze badges
- Software Engineering 31.8k 31.8k 88 gold badges6565 silver badges101101 bronze badges
- Code Review 701 701 44 silver badges99 bronze badges
- Project Management 584 584 33 silver badges99 bronze badges
- Meta Stack Exchange 141 141 22 bronze badges
- View network profile →
Top network posts
- 378 What does $ mean before a string?
- 236 Is it bad practice to enforce an execution order for unit tests?
- 214 My boss asks me to stop writing small functions and do everything in the same loop
- 173 Reading/writing an INI file
- 130 How do you justify more code being written by following clean code practices?
- 125 How do you detect dependency problems with unit tests when you use mock objects?
- 108 Visual Studio (2008) 'Clean Solution' Option
- View more network posts →