I'm a software developer, and I have a friend who isn't (maybe call him an aspiring product manager)
He has an idea for a web application, and wants to write a design or specification for it:
- So that I can estimate (from the spec) how long it might take to develop
- So that he can show the design/spec to other people (e.g. investors+users)
I'd like him to have some good advice:
- How to write a design/specification
- What information should be included
- What tools to use (if any)
- Perhaps some example[s] to emulate
Let's say this is for a simple web application of moderate complexity:
- Several users
- Users enter data and share it with other users
- Several web pages
Let's say too that it ought to be written/recorded, not just in his head and told to people in live meetings.
And finally let's say that I'm not too fussed about the styling (the CSS) -- yes the layout on each page, but not the specific colors and fonts, shiny buttons and icons.
Anyway, my question here is, can I ask about that on this site?
How can I ask without its being considered a "shopping question"?
It seems like a shopping question because the answer is maybe too long for a single new answer posted on this site, so I'm probably looking for a whole article or tutorial, or product web site (or book).
And yet I'd guess this ought to be on-topic here. Or has it already been asked and answered?