Changing this site from the increasingly anachronistic "Programmers" to the more fitting "Software Engineering" has been... A long road. So far, we've discussed...
- ...the name itself
- ...the audience / tagline
- ...the topic
- ...the scope (or, boundaries of the topic)
- ...the scope and topic again, maybe a half-dozen times, going around and around like a top until everyone fell over.
- ...the tour and help center guidance.
That leaves us with one last step: change the name, logo, and domain. That all has to happen together; it'd be confusing to have only part of it done... So watch out, that last step's a doozy...
The new logo
Our chronically-overworked design team has put together a new logo for the site:
The design is recognizably similar to the current logo, but moves away from the "whiteboard scrawl" style toward something a bit more... clean, precise, disciplined. It's not a radical overhaul; rather, it reflects the tone of the other changes being made: small, critical adjustments to bring the site's perception in line with reality.
Next week, we'll find a block of time and make the following changes over the span of about an hour:
- The name for the site will change to Software Engineering Stack Exchange.
- The logo for the site will change to the one shown above.
- The default domain for the site will change to softwareengineering.stackexchange.com.
- The topic string for the site will change to software engineering. This is used in a half-dozen or so places, including the title prompt and sidebar on /questions/ask where it currently reads "software development" - if y'all have any other changes to make to those, please list them below!
- The audience string for the site will change to professionals, academics, and students working within the systems development life cycle who care about creating, delivering, and maintaining software responsibly. This is used in a couple of places here (help center and new user "hero" banner) and a whole bunch of places where the site is referenced elsewhere on the network.
...then the whole system gets rebuilt and... We're done.
But I hate the new logo / I wanted to spend a few more weeks talking about scope again!
Then we're done with this for the year. No, seriously: as much as I know we'd all enjoy talking about this for another month, this is either gonna happen next week as described above, or it's not going to happen at all for a very long time. Little tweaks (like removing those stupid oxford commas in the audience string) are possible; anything more involved than that, including anything involving the logo, and... we're probably not going to have time until 2017. So... Hopefully we got everything important hashed out over the past 8 months.
Thank you all for your patience; I know this has been kind of an overwrought process, but... Naming is hard, and there are some caches involved as well. Let's just all hope we don't have to ever do this again.
softwareegineering.stackexchange.comI do hope you plan on spelling the subdomain right. :P Software Egineers. Heh. Anyway, I'm guessing we'll have a heads-up when you have the time slotted for the cutover?