We have a problem, need help.
When people fail in trying to post their question on Stack Overflow, they come here to post it. This is often the case with people trying to get around a question ban and getting some help anywhere. Its also occasionally happens with the low quality posts. It also apparently happens here too.
This isn't an extremely frequent thing and looking at this search, the questions that it would have blocked are:
Before people start getting up in arms about the Traveling Salesman Problem or the Knapsack Problem or the Problem domain, let's look at the last month of undeleted questions with 'Problem' in the title.
- Problem on PHP and MySQL with jQuery (-8)
- Problem 3, project Euler (-6 deleted)
- Having a Problem Passing First Unit Test in Exercism.io Java Challenge (-3 deleted)
- Problems with storing plain text and byte information in the same file (-1 migrated)
- Problem with C# File IO in Winforms (-2 migrated)
- Problem with device orientation code in Firefox for Android (-2 migrated)
- Isn't there a substantial problem with SVN tags? (+2)
Question 7 there was posted July 16th (over a month ago). Questions 4, 5, and 6 where migrated to Stack Overflow (apparently its not a problem to migrate problem questions). I would encourage SE to look into how often these questions get deleted and don't show up in my query.
Why should this be done? Because questions of this form are rarely good questions. They are either poorly written questions, or questions that are poorly written and should have been asked on Stack Overflow. So instead of dealing with the question on Stack Overflow, the person is frustrated with not being able to post there, then posting here, getting the question closed and down voted, and sometimes get the question bounced back to Stack Overflow anyways. All in all a poor experience for the user and a waste of community close votes here.
This can also be seen with 'help' in the title:
- i wanna become a programmer need help (-6 deleted)
- C++ Segmentation Fault, Please Help! (-7 deleted)
- I have a problem with math in C++ help me, please (-4 deleted)
- Help with Shell (-2 migrated)
- Beginner in C needing help with strings and memory (0 migrated)
- Help me design this use case (+1)
The last item here is from July 23 (again, nearly a month ago) and could use a better title. Again though, this list shows examples of questions that (if written well) are clearly off topic here and should have instead been asked on Stack Overflow.
By blocking 'problem' and 'help' from question titles on Stack Overflow, but allowing them here, we get the poor questions and have to deal with them where they clearly don't belong. This leads to a worse user experience for both the poster and the community and in cases where it is a very poor question, unnecessarily contributes to the OP getting question banned here (though I'll grant if they don't read the faq and ask poor questions here too, they'd probably would have gotten question banned eventually).