Propose to detect troublesome questions using Stack Overflow quality scoring data and put them to Triage queue for an hour or two. If the timeout expires before decision is made, let questions go to homepage.
As for the questions that fail the Triage, one option to handle these is to keep them invisible for a day or two (if not edited), then automatically bump them for a broader community review. This way would keep them away from the top of newest tab. (Attentive readers may notice that bumps imply certain pollution of active tab but this looks less of an issue to me, as this tab is rather heavily dominated by better questions being bumped by answers and edits. Not to mention that Triage would spare active page from questions deserving flagging for speedy deletion - spam, homework dumps, "cubicle fart" kind stuff...)
Reasons why I consider above approach feasible are laid out here:
...site topics substantially overlap and... many troublesome questions over here appear to be posted by users who are simply trying to circumvent question block at Stack Overflow. Using same scoring data that is supposed to detect and block them at Stack Overflow would make sense, wouldn't it?
...there is just no way to ensure that questions in Triage queue would be reviewed within reasonable timeframe... automatically kick questions off this queue and let them go to homepage after some timeout (say, 1-2 hours) if these haven't got sufficient attention.
- Is this site failing? And should it go away?
- Why are we getting so many off topic 'debug this for me' questions? what can we do about it?
- Is there any point in this site still existing?
Note this one even suggests Stack Overflow (protected by Triage!) as an example of how a site should look like.
- So many bad questions
- There are way more negative votes in the top 50 questions than positive. Time to think
- 'Problem' and 'help' titles in off-topic questions of new users coming from Stack Overflow
- Let's help askers who are trying to circumvent question block at Stack Overflow
- Why can't we raise up questions quality?
- How effective is the quality filter against this question with all-caps brief title and text?
- A lot of front page down votes
- Cutting down on off topic posts
- How many questions do we get from users recently blocked at SO, how many of these are closed / deleted?
- Why so many negative votes here?
- How can we encourage people to read the FAQ before asking their first question?
- How can we avoid turning off potential participants who see the wall of Closed questions?
- Why are there so many closed, on hold, and down voted questions here?
- Better Selection / Title for Top Questions List
- Requiring registration to ask questions - did it made a difference?
- Why are there so many minus points on questions in this site?
- Programmers Stack Exchange question downvoting, what to do?
- What can we do about extremely low quality questions from unregistered users?
- Can we have some way to not show closed questions on the front page?
- What can we do to help users understand our site better?
- What can be done about bad questions on Programmers?
- How can I create a custom filtered view of questions?
- Are we scaring off new users?
- Why are so many questions closed? (Nov 17 '11)
- Why are so many questions closed? (Oct 8 '12)
- What to do about the proliferation of bad questions from generic accounts?
- Why are almost half the questions on the front page marked "closed"?
- Are we closing too many good questions now?