There are some fairly major changes coming soon to how posts are closed, you may want to read up on the details:
- Closing changes: [on hold], unclear, too broad, opinion-based, off-topic reasons, bye-bye to Too Localized
- Responding to your “too localized” concerns
We will need to come up with our own list of custom off topic reasons for Programmers. These reasons will be available to close voters after they have picked the generic "off topic" one. Here's a screenshot of Meta Stack Overflow's close dialog, where the new system is already available:
The "other" option will allow a custom message, when none of the three custom reasons applies:
If you have an "off topic" reason you'd like to nominate, please post it as an answer. Some general guidelines:
- One reason per answer, so they can be voted separately.
- A brief comment explaining why the general category is off topic is mandatory. See the examples in the first screenshot for inspiration. If we have a good Meta discussion explaining in detail why the category doesn't work, please link to it in your comment.
- Examples to existing closed questions that would fit your custom reason would be immensely helpful.
- If there's already an answer with a reason similar to what you have in mind, but with a slightly different phrasing, please consider commenting on the existing answer and refining the phrasing instead of posting a new answer.