- Not only to the answers posted all agree, they also all explain why.
- Most answers are medium-length, not short.
- Most of the upvoted ones are impartial (that second one, not so much).
- On the other hand, that second one falls under this criteria - it shares an experience to explain why.
- There are references in some of the less-upvoted answers.
- This one in particular seems to have hit a nerve - it's most definitely not "mindless social fun".
And there's the massive amount of upvotes both the question and answers have, so it was definitely a question users liked. (I'm still using it as a reference because of the high-quality answers and examples!)
So... Shouldn't this be an open question on this site? It seems like exactly the type of thing we should be encouraging. (Perhaps, just edit the question's "What do you think?" and change it to "Is he right?")