Programmers.SE, we need to talk.
We've had a rough couple of years, what with being originally a place to ask anything and everything and having to shape up. I get that it's annoying to still see off-topic question or questions that are unanswerable day in and day out.
But that's no excuse for the excessively rude and offensive comments and answers that currently happen on questions like these. Questions like that aren't great: they're probably off-topic. But when we have users with literally thousands of reputation leaving comments like the now-deleted:
No thanks, I'm not your [expletive deleted].
And answers like this that link to extremely condescending and overtly hostile GIFs like these, we have completely lost our way.
This isn't an isolated incident, either: hostile comments and answers like these happen all the time, and what appears to be increasing frequency, from people with enough reputation to know better:
- If I had a quarter for every time I've seen posts like this, I wouldn't need my job. Son, I suggest you learn to program if you want to create one.
- A young, good looking developer could always work as a stripper but even then it is not a surefire way. (+2)
- this is a rant ( there is not answerable question ) by someone with an inflated ego at best, and completely off topic (+5)
- There really isn't a question here, if under the thinly veiled bias and flamebait there is actually a small semblance of a real question then it not constructive and inviting of debate. And besides security being a non-issue - You keep believing that and high price consultants will be making bank for a long time cleaning up the mess. (+3)
- IMHO, if indeed it was asked like you quote it, this is a stupid question, and that should be the correct answer.
- nice rant, now - where is the question? (+1)
- Answer that links to LMGTFY and Guru.com (+1)
- Anything wrong with Google today? "Javadoc for C++" brings excellent results. (+3)
Let me be clear: we make the internet a worse place when stuff like this happens. We make our site look like trash.
Please, stop it. If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything. Vote to close, flag, down-vote, or leave a polite comment explaining to the user where they went wrong and just move on. If you find yourself unable to resist leaving a snarky or hostile comment on a question or answer you don't like, I humbly suggest you do what I did: take a break from the site. It'll still be here when you come back.