Just a quick note here on meta to let everyone know we will be enforcing these six subjective question guidelines.
Great subjective questions...
- inspire answers that explain “why” and “how”.
- tend to have long, not short, answers.
- have a constructive, fair, and impartial tone.
- invite sharing experiences over opinions.
- insist that opinion be backed up with facts and references.
- are more than just mindless social fun.
This is just the title of each guideline; there's more detail about each guideline, with examples on the blog.
Fair warning, any questions on programmers.se that do not meet a reasonable number of these guidelines (let's say roughly 4 out of 6) will be closed... aggressively.
edit: the subjective/argumentative close reason has been changed to
This question does not meet enough of our six guidelines for constructive subjective questions.
edit: Description now enhanced to provide a TL;DR summary for the link:
This question does not meet enough of our six guidelines for constructive subjective questions. All questions should be practical, answerable, and of some educational value to the greater community. Chatty, open-ended discussion questions diminish the usefulness of our site and push other questions off the front page.
and the official faq has been updated to reflect the above.
... now let the closings begin, for great justice.