Currently, there are five tags containing "performance" in their title:
- performance (141, 38) “Questions related to improving application performance [...]”,
- software-performance (10, 4) No wiki summary,
- web-performance (9, 0) No wiki summary,
- performance-tools (4, 1) No wiki summary,
- job-performance (7) “Questions related to excelling at one's current job [...] performance review”.
I think that:
software-performance and web-performance brings nothing useful compared to the more popular performance, and so they must be merged. web-performance might be more specific (for example, a question about CSS sprites is better tagged web-performance than performance since the technique is directly related to web, but still, the tag was not used very often to show its benefit. As for software-performance, I believe Does object-orientation really affect algorithm performance? question illustrates quite well how a more general performance would be more appropriate.
performance-tools may be removed too, since it probably encourages off-topic questions of two types: the ones where people will ask for product recommendations (off-topic), and the ones where people will ask how to use a specific product related to performance (off-topic, belongs to Super User).