Building off of @Mark Trapp's answer here, should P.SE moderators have to defend their seat?
In other words, should we keep a limited number of moderators and force them to run for re-election periodically?
Personally, I think it makes sense.
- Imagine that we have eight people who are perfectly capable of performing their duties as P.SE moderator.
- And we agree that we only need four moderators.
- Why should we let four people serve as P.SE moderators indefinitely?
- It seems like we should
rotate andinfuse some fresh blood into the P.SE group of moderators.
- I'm less concerned about rotating.
- Per @Mark Trapp's answer, I'm more concerned about appointing the absolute best moderators to the position. [Thanks @Mark Trapp for the suggestion. ;)]
- It's funny how things change in a year.
- As I've said on numerous occasions, I think that the current crop of Programmers.SE mods are doing a fantastic job, and on a specific basis, I don't see any need for them to "defend their seat".
- OTOH, this might be a decent idea for the Stackexchange network as a whole.