We've had a number of people posting coding questions here apparently to avoid one of the following rules on Stack Overflow:
- Question posting rate limit - you can only post 6 questions per day and 50 questions per month
- Low quality question bans - having lots of down-voted, closed and deleted questions means your IP is banned from posting questions.
This is not something we should be allowing. If someone can't post on Stack Overflow it must be for a fairly serious reason.
At first glance it's not always obvious that people are doing this and only becomes clear when you notice that their last four questions were migrated or they actually admit it in a post.
I think we have to assume good faith and that in the first instance people are posting code here by accident, but it would help if people could do a little double checking before voting to migrate to Stack Overflow. This can be (in order of simplicity):
- Check their profile to see if a lot of questions have
- Check their Stack Overflow profile to see if they are suspended.
- Check their Stack Overflow profile to see if they have posted a lot of questions.
- Check the list of questions for many low quality ones.
I know that this can take time and the simplest thing to do is vote to migrate, but it would really help the moderators here and on Stack Overflow if we can prevent this abuse of the system.
If you have any doubts about the question, just vote to close as off topic and flag the question for us to look at. We can do more checks and contact the Stack Overflow moderators to double check any suspicions we might have.