One of the big 7 questions.
What kinds of questions can I ask here?
Programmers.SE is for professional and enthusiast programmers who are interested in subjective discussions on software development and programmer-related issues.
What kinds of questions should I not ask here?
Avoid asking questions that are objective or technical in nature and can have a definitive answer. Ask technical questions about programming on Stack Overflow.
You should also avoid asking questions that are not tangentially related to programming or programmers in general.
If you want to talk about the site itself, please don't do it here. Visit our meta-discussion site where you can talk about things like what questions are appropriate, what tags we should use, suggest a feature, or generally discuss how Programmers.SE works.
If you want to talk about the family of Stack Exchange sites, including problems using the site or your account, visit the meta-discussion site for Stack Exchange.
How is Programmers.SE different from Stack Overflow and other related Stack Exchange sites?
On Stack Overflow, subjective questions, questions requiring extended discussion, and list-type questions are considered off-topic and will be closed. On Programmers.SE, these questions are considered on-topic.
In addition, questions that are only tangentially related to programming, but aren't actually programming questions, are accepted on Programmers.SE.
Example questions that are off-topic on Stack Overflow but on-topic on Programmers.SE:
- What is your favorite “programmer” cartoon?
- I've stopped coding for fun, is this a bad sign?
- Job hopping, is it a problem?
- What is the (craziest, stupidest, silliest) thing a client/boss asked you to do?
- Why do programmers write apps and then make them free?
Example questions that are off-topic on Programmers.SE but on-topic on Stack Overflow:
- How do emulators work and how are they written?
- round() for float in C++
- In-Place Radix Sort
- How to Round in MS Access, VBA
- Code Golf: Happy Primes!
- How do you deal with famous questions of Stack Overflow that are being asked again on Programmers?
- What's the difference between Programmers and SO
- Where do Code Golf/Code Challenge questions belong?
- What types of subjective questions are not acceptable?
- Should we migrate subjective question from StackOverflow ?
Can I use Programmers.SE to advertise, promote, or recruit for my project/site/product?
No. Programmers.SE is a question-and-answer site meant to catalog the community's answers to questions asked here: a question should be in the form of question whose answers would be useful to the greater community of programmers, not just yourself.
Examples of questions that are off-topic on Programmers.SE:
- Can you fill out my questionnaire on how many programmers use Vim over Emacs?
- Would you donate to my charity to help the lost children of C#?
- Would you be interested in a timeshare condo marketed specifically to programmers?
- Can I hire one of you to do my homework?
Shouldn't all "list" questions be Community Wiki to prevent rep farming?
No. The community wiki flag should be used for questions which would benefit from a collaborative answer; it is not for allowing questions that might be of too low value to gather reputation. If a question is too poor or might attract low quality answers, it should be flagged for moderator attention and/or voted to close.
However, some list questions might only have a finite amount of correct answers and could benefit from more than one person editing an answer to provide the most comprehensive point of view. In this case, community wiki is appropriate. Answerers can flag a question as community wiki on their own answers, and all questions will convert to community wiki automatically after receiving 30 answers.