I'm fairly new to SE and wonder what exactly Meta is supposed to be used for?
If you take a look at the recent popular questions in Meta, you'll find:
- bug reports
- generic questions regarding to Programmers.SE
- suggestions to FAQ modifications
- discussions on which questions are on and off topic (for the main site)
All of which do not contain anything directly related to programming.
I recommend reading the /faq
This site is for meta discussion about programmers.stackexchange.com. That is, things like:
- Are questions about _____ on or off topic?
- What should our FAQ contain?
- How should we tag questions about _____?
- What should our elevator pitch be?
- What should our site design look like?
- Who should the moderators be?
- How do we promote our site?
See The 7 Essential Meta Questions for more details.